02-14-18 A Not So Happy Valentine’s Day

All day yesterday I just felt off. And as the day progressed, it just seemed to go downhill. Halfway home from work I was pretty convinced that I had a fever. I picked up the kids and got home as quickly as I could. Thankfully my mother in law took the kids off of my hands until Tim could get home. When I checked my temp it was 101.5. Yup, definitely sick. Ugh.

Let me tell you, friends… It has been a long time since I have been that sick. I started getting crazy, crazy chills. I was dizzy, nauseous, my throat hurt, and I couldn’t stop shaking. Every time I tried to take something for the fever, I threw up. I couldn’t even sip on water without it coming back up. I couldn’t lay down because I got nauseous. I just sat in my chair, shaking for hours. I was convinced I had the flu. Finally in the middle of the night the fever broke and I was able to snack on a few crackers before getting a couple hours of sleep. This morning I woke up fever free. Tim got the kids to school, but as I laid in bed I felt the fever come back. Thankfully I was able to get some meds in me, and was able to get it under control.

I called the doctor to see if I could get in and they had an appointment in a half an hour so I booked it over there. Thankfully the meds had worked and I was feeling pretty good. The doctor didn’t think I had the flu because I didn’t have any coughing or upper respiratory things going on, so he ran a strep test. The rapid one came back negative, but they sent one out to the lab to make sure. Meanwhile he said that my symptoms were very ‘strep’ like and he started me on an antibiotic.

I came home and slept for a long time. When I picked the kids up from daycare, C was complaining of a sore throat. I figured we should get it checked out since it was highly possible that I have strep. So I took her to the walk in hours at her pediatrician. It almost seemed ridiculous being there because C wasn’t acting sick at all. We were surrounded by obviously unwell kids. I was starting to feel worse again and was ready to leave when they called her name. Man was I glad we stuck around because her strep test came back with an immediate positive. So thankfully we caught it super early in her and she has started antibiotics. She will stay home tomorrow and will be good to go back on Friday.

Despite me feeling awful, I really enjoyed my evening with my girl. She was so bubbly and talkative, and she made me so happy to just be with her.

So while our Valentine’s Day really wasn’t what we had hoped it would be, I’m thankful for easy access to doctors and medication. I’m grateful to my wonderful husband for carrying an extra load while I recover. And I am looking forward to my sick day with my girl! 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s