08-19-18 Race Day

I started running on the treadmill about a week after we moved, with the goal that one day I would do a 5k. I was on the internet last week and was randomly looking at local 5ks and I saw that there was one this weekend very near our house. On a whim, I signed up for it.

I stood in line yesterday at a running store to pick up my race packet. When they handed me the shirt and bib my heart started to beat faster. I couldn’t believe I was doing something so far outside of my comfort zone. By the time I got back to the car I’m pretty sure I looked like a deer in headlights.

It was still dark this morning when my alarm went off. Today was race day!! I got up, took my shower, got dressed in my running clothes, and made my way downstairs for breakfast. The house was still quiet.

When I woke the kids up this morning they hurriedly got ready. It was race day for them too. After the 5k started, there would be a kids’ Fun Run of 100 yards. All three of them couldn’t wait to do it.

We arrived on location in time to see the 20k runners start their race. 15 minutes later it was my turn. I stood in a massive crowd of people. I couldn’t even hear the announcer, but suddenly everyone in front of me started to run. That was my cue.

I didn’t really know what to expect because ALL of my running has been on the treadmill. I knew it would definitely be more difficult and my time wouldn’t be as good, but I was just happy to be there, and my goal was to finish.. (and not be last!)

And I did finish and I wasn’t last!! My time wasn’t great and I walked more than I had hoped to, but considering 6 weeks ago was the first time I stepped on the treadmill, I was really happy!! Tim and the kids cheered me on as I crossed the finish line (which came at the top of the steepest hill!!) and they couldn’t wait to tell me about their race.

C came in 4th, Big E came in 5th, and Baby E came in last, (though if you ask him, he will tell you he came in third.) Tim ended up holding his hand the entire way. All the kids got medals for completing their race and they were so proud. I was very happy for them! They even insisted on wearing their medals to church.

This evening I went back to my trusty treadmill and ran for the same amount of time that I had raced for this morning. I was able to go 4.40 miles this evening, which definitely made me feel better about my time this morning.

While this experience was hard, I can’t wait to do it again! I’ve already been looking up what race we can do next!!




My cheering squad!


C gave herself a tattoo this morning and showed it to me right before I got into line. It said, “Go Mom”


The kids were waiting for their race!








Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s