01-16-17 We Meet Again…

“I really hope my stomach falls off!!!!” Big E squealed as we drove down a steep hill, his arms in the air as he laughed.

“I think you mean, ‘lose your stomach!'” I laughed in return. I actually love when my kids use the wrong phrases or pronunciations to words. Sometimes I correct them, and sometimes I let them slide.

C said the word ‘mazagine’ the other day, which she hasn’t said for quite some time, and I smiled. I loved it.


Like I said yesterday, Baby E has been sporting a cold for about a week and when we woke up this morning I realized that his inhaler was down to five more puffs. Yikes!! I called in to get a refill, and as the day carried on, I decided I would take him into walk in hours. It wasn’t because he seemed any worse, it was because I had the day off and I figured it would be better to do it now, than get halfway through the week and something happen and I’d have to take him after work one day. So, I packed the kids up and headed to the doctor.

Now, the last time I took all three of them to the pediatrician with me was a long, long time ago. In fact, I think it has been over a year. I’ve been avoiding it since the ‘incident.’ You know, the time my kids were totally out of control and were wrestling on the floor as I was trying to talk to the doctor. The same time that he referenced weeks later when I was there with just Baby E and the doctor thought he was referring to my sister-in-law and her kids. “Your cousins were pretty wild that time they were here!!” (Yikes!) “Yup, those kids,” I said as I shook my head and mentally reminded myself to apologize to my sister-in-law for totally throwing her under the bus.

Since then I think I’ve only taken one or two.

Tonight we had a code word, ‘Penguins.’ If they heard me say ‘penguins,’ they knew I thought they were out of control and needed to calm back down or they wouldn’t get cake when we got home. (Yes, I bribed them.)

Well ten minutes into our visit I had entirely exhausted that word and vowed once again to never go out in public with all three by myself again! They calmed down just in time for the doctor to come in, which was helpful.

He quickly diagnosed Baby E with RSV.

Wait, RSV???? The same thing that Baby E had when he was a newborn and nearly landed him in the hospital!! All I could think about was that horrible week I watched my baby fight to breathe. The doctor must have read it in my face, because he was quick to assure me that Baby E is older now and his body can handle this better. His ears look great. There is no fever. No pneumonia. His lungs sound a little coarse, but nothing that the inhaler can’t help with. In fact, the only recommendation was to continue what we were doing. It’s a 7-10 day illness, so he should be almost out of it. He reiterated, “For most people, it’s just a cold.”

With a sigh of relief, I grabbed the prescription and wrangled the kids to the door. We made a few stops on the way home- to fill the Rx and grab a pizza for dinner. Baby E once again seemed fine this evening. He didn’t fight the inhaler treatment. It’s been awhile since he has had a breathing related illness, so the doctor said he isn’t likely to develop asthma (That’s a concern when kids get RSV at a very young age.) So hopefully we are in the clear for that one. Thanks for the prayers for my little man. He is going to get some Naona time tomorrow, which is a great thing because he has been begging to see her for about a week!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s